The real deal: The gender pay gap is the result of many factors, including:
- Occupational segregation (when they say women can't handle certain jobs like being handymen vs housekeepers in hotels)
- Bias against pregnant women & working mothers (as if we want to be the only gender to push a bowling ball out of our hoo-has)
- And direct pay discrimination (basically just not giving us what we deserve)
Additionally, such things as racial bias, disability, access to education, and age come into play. Consequently, different groups of women experience very different gaps in pay.
If we don't stand up and get ours ladies, we're always going to be behind. SO:
The Paycheck Fairness Act will help secure equal pay for equal work for all Americans by:
- Requiring employers to demonstrate that wage differentials are based on factors other than sex
- Prohibiting retaliation against workers who inquire about their employers’ wage practices or disclose their own wages
- Strengthening penalties for equal pay violations
It's time for us all to stand up for gender pay transparency!
LET'S GET THAT MONEY, HONEY!