Based on our 35 years of experience in advocating for breast health and cancer services, funding research and providing community education, Komen is in a unique position to enhance and strengthen the health care landscape for all women and men who have received a breast cancer diagnosis. As the nonpartisan voice of more than 3.5 million breast cancer survivors, those living with the disease and the people who love them, it is up to us to ensure our policymakers are educated about the needs of breast cancer patients and prioritize fighting for us!
Every woman and man deserve access to timely and affordable high-quality breast health care — but not everyone has it. Patient protections included in the Affordable Care Act (ACA) continue to be threatened and additional protections are still needed. As congress convenes in Washington, D.C. and is faced with many pressing issues, we are asking our nation’s leaders to put patients first and defend the Breast Cancer Bill of Rights:
- ACCESS: Breast cancer patients and survivors have a right to continuous, affordable, quality and accessible health insurance coverage regardless of pre-existing conditions or current circumstances.
- CLINICAL TRIALS: Breast cancer patients should be educated about clinical trial opportunities and patients who participate in a clinical trial have a right to coverage of routine health care costs.
- EARLY DETECTION: Every woman and man has a right to access the most effective, evidence-based breast cancer screening and diagnostic tools that may save their life.
- FINANCIAL STABILITY: Anyone diagnosed with breast cancer has a right to fight the disease without fear of bankruptcy.
- HIGH QUALITY CARE: Everyone has a right to high-quality care, no matter where they seek medical services.
- INNOVATION: All Americans have a right to a government that makes investment in cancer research a national priority.
- PATIENT EDUCATION: Every woman and man has a right to make informed decisions and control their own health.
- RECONSTRUCTION: Breast cancer survivors have a right to insurance coverage for full mastectomy care, including reconstruction or prosthesis.
- STRONG SAFETY NET: Uninsured and underinsured women and men have a right to a strong breast health care safety net.
- TIMELY CARE: Every woman or man who has an abnormal mammogram or other screening, has a right to a diagnosis and treatment, if needed, without delay.