The Virginia General Assembly is currently considering several bills to tackle dangerous sanctuary policies. Sanctuary policies prohibit or restrict law enforcement from cooperating with federal immigration officials, allowing criminal aliens to live and work freely in communities.
· On February 6, the Senate passed Senate Bill 1262 to make sanctuary cities liable for injuries caused by illegal aliens within its jurisdiction.
· On February 7, the House passed House Bill 2000 to prohibit localities from enacting any ordinance, procedure, or policy that restricts the enforcement of immigration law to any less than the full extent permitted under law.
· On January 25, the House passed House Bill 1468 to prohibit law enforcement from ignoring immigration detainers.
Contact your state legislators today, and tell them you support ending dangerous sanctuary policies!
The benefits of legislation like SB 1262, HB 2000, and HB 1468 include:
• Furthering the public safety and welfare of Virginians;
• Fighting illegal immigration by eliminating the attraction for illegal aliens to come to Virginia;
• Providing federal officials with critical assistance to remove criminal aliens who are already in state or local custody; and
• Preserving the Rule of Law.
If our laws are not enforced at the jailhouse door, when will they be? Too many lives have already been lost due to dangerous sanctuary policies.